Who knew that one oil could have so many different benefits for our hair? As almond oil is so good for us, and our hair, I thought I would write a post on the ways in which I use it on my own hair, and add some easy DIY almond oil hair treatments.
As mentioned in previous posts we know that almond oil is loaded with nutrients. Vitamins, omega fatty acids, minerals and proteins, all of which have benefits for our hair.
Due to its emollient properties, almond oil hydrates the hair and prevents loss of moisture. This makes it great for dry and frizz prone hair, like my own. Other hair benefits that almond oil has to offer include strengthening and repairing the hair, improving hair growth, preventing and treating scalp conditions, treating dandruff and softening the hair, leaving it shiny and healthy.
Almond oil hair treatments
One way in which I use almond oil to treat my hair:
- Rinse hair with warm water. Brush or comb the hair to ensure it’s tangle free.
- Warm the almond oil by rubbing it between your palms. Alternatively, heat in a saucepan until warm. Test it every 10 seconds or so, we don’t want to boil it, just warm it. Warm oil penetrates hair strands better. I don’t recommend microwaving the oil, as this will kill nutrients.
- Take a small amount of oil, rub between your palms and gently massage into the front of the scalp, working your way back towards the crown of the head. Massage at the nape, and work up to the crown of the head.
- Take a wide toothed comb, and comb the oil from the roots down to the tips of the hair. Ensuring all of the hair is coated. My hair is long and thick, and I usually need to add a little more oil. I do this by adding it to the ends, and combing it through. You don’t want to add too much oil to the roots area, as it may leave them looking greasy.
- Cover the hair with preferably a shower cap, or a towel for 1 hour. For extensive treatment you can leave on over night.
- Shampoo the hair, working into the scalp from the front of the head to the crown. Give the head and hair a good massage with the shampoo, then rinse using warm water.
- Ensure you wash out all of the almond oil, as any residue left on the hair may make it look greasy.
almond oil hair treatments
Almond Oil, Olive Oil And Honey
Olive oil and honey both have their own benefits for hair. When mixed with almond oil, it becomes a miracle hair treatment. It will repair and strengthen the hair, prevent dryness and frizz and soften the hair leaving it smooth and shiny.
- Mix together 1 teaspoon almond oil, 1/2 teaspoon raw honey and 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil.
- Gently massage the mixture onto the scalp area.
- Cover the remainder of your hair with the mixture, ensuring the hair is covered right to the tips. Then massage into the scalp for about 5 minutes.
- Leave the mask on for 30 minutes.
- Rinse off using shampoo and warm water.
Use this mask once or twice a week for effective results.
Got no honey, don’t worry, you can just use almond and olive oil. Just mix 1 tablespoon of each, and repeat the process above.
Almond Oil And Aloe Vera Gel
Aloe vera provides moisture and hydration to the hair which helps with dry hair and fizziness. It will heal the hair, and leave it smooth.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of almond oil with 1 teaspoon aloe vera gel.
- Massage into scalp area, ensuring all of the hair is covered.
- Leave on over night.
- Wash off using warm water and shampoo.
Use 1-2 times per week for effective results.
Almond Oil and Egg
Eggs are high in protein. Meaning they can be beneficial for our hair. They help nourish hair follicles, repair damaged hair, and bring moisture, for dry hair.
- Whisk 1 raw egg.
- Add 4 tablespoons of almond oil, and mix together.
- Wash your hair with shampoo, then apply the mixture to your hair.
- Make sure it covers all of the hair, root to tip.
- Leave on for 45 minutes.
- Rinse off the mixture using warm water.
Repeat once a week for effective results.
you might also like:
5 BENEFITS OF ALMOND OIL
Discover the amazing benefits that almonds have to offer.
honey and lemon face mask
An easy DIY anti-aging honey and lemon face mask.