Boost the immune system naturally
You can boost your immune system naturally with foods, and by taking certain supplements. Right now, it has never been more important for us to educate ourselves on keeping our bodies healthy. Boosting the immune system will not only benefit our overall health, it will be ready to fight off any virus thrown at it.
The immune system is a vast network of cells, organs, tissue and proteins spread throughout the body. The cells are on constant lookout for pathogen invaders. As a result, once an invader is discovered the immune system goes in for the kill, to rid it from the body. Meaning, our immune system is a fighter, literally. It’s constantly fighting off bacteria, diseases, viruses, parasites and more. So, we need to do what we can to keep it strong and healthy. As a strong healthy immune system is essential for our survival.
Our immune systems become stronger as we reach adulthood. This is because it’s had more experience by this point at fighting off disease, becoming stronger and keeping us healthy. And that’s why it should be ok for children to catch a cold now and then, or play in the mud, as it’s making there immune system grow and be strong, and ready to fight off the illnesses we may experience in adult life.
If our children become sick nowadays, we are quick to run to the medicine cupboard to get them cured ASAP. However, the issue with doing this on a regular basis is that the medicine is fighting off the illness not the immune system. Therefore, it’s not getting the exercise it needs to become strong enough to fight off pathogen invaders that are coming our way. I am by no means suggesting that if your child is sick not to medicate them. But maybe if they just have a slight cold, try giving them warm water with lemon and honey (same goes for us as adults). Which is a natural and tasty way of healing, and helping our immune system to fight off the virus.
Boost your immune system naturally with these foods
Citrus fruits are a great source for strengthening the immune system. They are high in vitamin C, and vitamin C supports our immune response to threats. It does this by producing more white blood cells, enzymes and antibodies which are essential for our defense system. This is why people turn to vitamin C when they catch a cold.
Blueberries contain antioxidant properties. Antioxidants help to boost the immune system. They also contain flavonoids. Studies have shown that flavonoids play an essential role in the respiratory tract immune defense system. Eating foods that contain flavonoids can reduce your risk of getting respiratory infections and cold and flu viruses.
Brocolli also contains antioxidant properties. It contains fibres, minerals and is high in vitamins A, C and E making it one of the healthiest foods you can eat. Eat it regularly to help boost immune defense.
Garlic has antibacterial, antifungal and antiseptic properties. It contains vitamins B1, B6 and C, iron and phosphorus, making it not only a superfood, but amazing for keeping the immune system strong. Garlic is a powerful component for fighting cold and flu viruses.
All mushrooms have immune boosting properties, but certain mushrooms differ greatly in there individual healing properties. The best mushrooms for boosting immune health are Reishi, medicinal, shitake, turkey tail, chaga, Maitake and cordeyceps.
supplements that boost the immune system
Top 10 immune boosting vitamins and supplements
- Colloidal Silver – Colloidal silver is an effective immune system strengthener. It rids the body of infection.
- Vitamin D – Studies show that low levels of vitamin D make you more susceptible to infection. Adequate levels will boost immune response.
- Zinc – Zinc breaks down proteins in viruses and bacteria to prevent them spreading. Adequate levels of zinc are essential for immune health.
- Vitamin C – Vitamin C deficiency significantly weakens the immune system. Vitamin C increases white blood cell production which are essential for immune defense.
- Vitamin A – Vitamin A has the ability to target certain areas of the immune system. It also aids with white blood cell production which we need to fight against infection.
- Omega-3 Fatty acids – DHA and EPA fatty acids aid with inflammation and promoting healing after an attack of bacteria or infection have neutralised.
- B Vitamins – Vitamin B6 is essential for a healthy immune system. Vitamin B2 helps with the production of red blood cells. Red blood cells help aid the functioning of a healthy immune system.
- Acai Berry – Acai berry is a potent antioxidant and it helps to aid the immune system. Studies have shown that acai has the strongest cell-damage fighting properties of any food that has ever been tested.
- Selenium – Low levels of selenium have been linked to immune deficiency. Selenium can protect all of the body’s cells, including the DNA.
- Vitamin E – Vitamin E is an antioxidant. It also helps with the production of red blood cells. This vitamin is a vital nutrient for modulating the immune system.
you may also like:
Natural hand sanitizers
Learn how to make your own natural hand sanitizer.
top 5 antibacterial essential oils
Discover my top 5 antibacterial essential oils.